I did this watercolor from a photograph I had shared earlier
on my Pinterest watercolor board.
You can use a photograph for inspiration and not make it look
exactly like the photo, but more your interpretation of the photo.
I 'cheated' a bit and used white acrylic to give the idea of the lace
curtains in the original photo. I say cheated, because in true watercolor
there is NO use of white. White is the absence of color.

I don't think it is cheating to use white for a special effect. You could have masked out the lace if you wanted to create photo realism, but since the lace isn't the focus, what you've done is better, using white works. I was just reading an article by Donald Patterson, who uses white gouche to create a misty effect in his landscapes. It's different than applying white to try and get the effect of light.
ReplyDelete